Monday, February 14, 2011

Let Me In

Dearest Readers,

Today has been the most productive day ever! I am incredibly thrilled that I can say this is the first time I've even had a chance to sit down and write something down because I've done sooooo much academic work today! I feel ahead of the game! I know that officially it is Valentine's Day, but as a single female, I do not celebrate such an atrocity....I celebrate Singles Appreciation Day (S.A.D.) So, happy SAD everyone!

Today I will be reviewing the movie Let Me In. Let Me In is an American remake of the Swedish movie Let The Right One In (originally a novel by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist). I'd like to preface this post by saying I have neither read the novel or seen the Swedish film, so my opinion is solely based on my experience with the American film.

LET ME IN:

This movie was amazing. It was hauntingly beautiful but not scary, so don't watch it expecting to jump or have nightmares. Though there is blood, the driving force of this movie is the plot and the relationship between the 12-year old vampire girl and the lonely young boy who cares about her. Admittedly, the story started off slow, but I didn't mind because I enjoyed just watching the lovely cinematography. The visual aesthetic of the set really solidifies the atmosphere of this story. The acting of the two young stars was absolutely incredible! They seemed so mature and believable in this film that I am now expecting very great things and very long careers for both Chloe Grace Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Also incredible is the fact that while the plot is a bit predictable at times, it is not cliche. The ending, while generally expected, still has several interesting details that create a heart-wrenching and bittersweet resolution.

Things I Loved:
  • The chemistry between the actors and the incredible acting performance by the two main characters
  • This was a vampire romance that was not sappy or Twilight-esque! It elicited zero eye-rolls!!!
Things I Did Not Love:
  • I would have liked the movie to be a bit scarier than it was.
  • The pacing could have been a bit faster.
Again, I hope everyone has a lovely day whether you celebrate Valentine's Day or S.A.D.

Love Always,
Mina 

No comments: