Sunday, February 13, 2011

True Blood and More....

Dearest Friends and Fiends,

I am back! In the not-so-immortal words of Lady Gaga, "I'm on the right track, baby. I was born to survive!" Sometimes, life doesn't go as planned, and it really gets you down. Well, the past few weeks have not been very happy, and thus, I did not so much feel like blogging! Alas, things must get better. I plan to force them to become better....starting with more blogging and horror immersion! So, let the reviewing begin!

TRUE BLOOD SEASON ONE:

Now, I'm going to admit, I read all of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse books, and I was afraid that I was going to be torn between the books and the TV show....but I was not at all! I genuinely like both of them equally because they are so very different!

Now, for all you nay-sayers out there, YES, True Blood is pretty campy. It's not always the most engaging of TV shows or the most intelligent, but it's a great guilty pleasure! It's a nice diversion from reality, and it is surprisingly hilarious for such a dark show. However, I'd like to issue a brief warning: if you are squeamish with blood, sex, or swearing, perhaps you should avoid this show since it is rife with all three.

I found season one at my library (I work in a library, by the way...shocking, I know!) and I checked it out. I loved it so much that I actually went ahead and purchased season two from Amazon! It has already arrived in the mail, but I might not review it until spring break (Mid-March!).

Season one of True Blood started out a bit slow, at least in my opinion (keep in mind, that some "shocking" things didn't shock me since I read the books first), but as the season progressed, I really started to enjoy everything, especially the things that weren't in the books. I really enjoyed the major airtime of Lafayette/Tara/Tara's Mother. However (*spoiler alert*) I didn't like the Sam/Tara hookups because it seemed out of character.

Jessica's character does not exist in the books, but she made the last few episodes incredibly enjoyable! I am really looking forward to seeing how her character develops in the coming seasons! Also, Alexander Skarsgard, if you're reading this, I just want you to know that you are exceptionally hotttttt!

Things I LOVED:

  • All the gore!
  • Jessica!
  • (Alexander Skarsgard) Eric's appearance!
  • Pam's dry humor 
  • Hoyt's gentleman-like behavior and innocence (it was endearing lol)
  • Grandma Stackhouse (I wish my grandma was as awesome as Sookie's instead of being a psycho) 
  • Tara's acerbic tone
Things I Didn't Care For:
  • Sookie's air-headed behavior (This didn't happen constantly. She seemed strong and independent a few times as well, but this stood out to me more).
  • Bill - He's sort of irritating and not very attractive
  • Sookie's cat dying (I love cats!) 
  • Alexander Skarsgard was not in EVERY episode....
Well, hopefully, this week will be pretty productive! I plan to review the movies "Legion," "Let Me In," and "The Last Exorcism" as well as reviewing the novella Darkness Under the Son and maybe another book review as well.

Have a terrifying week,

Mina Raquel Fae

No comments: