Sunday, February 6, 2011

Musical Spotlight - Emilie Autumn

Dearest readers,

I nearly neglected this blog post today. Today has been a tumultuous soap opera of surging emotions! Thankfully, I've learned that I'm not nearly as alone as I generally feel, and so I can look back on the events of today with amusement instead of trauma.

Now, to the point:

Today I'm bringing you a musical spotlight on one of my favorite artists: Emilie Autumn. EA is an extraordinary violinist who once toured with Courtney Love. She has bipolar disorder and has suffered through abuse, and she sings about those subjects with such a haunting vulnerability. 

One of my favorite things about EA is the fact that she incorporates her extensive training in classical music with heavy industrial and electronica music and a stunning burlesque aesthetic. She is a true artist. In a world of generic pop artists with mindless beats and amateur lyrics, EA stands out with her poignant words and genuine talent! 

I am a massive literature nerd, so I love how EA intelligently pays homage to great literature with her songs "Shallott" (based on the poem "The Lady of Shallott" by Tennyson) and "Opheliac" (based on the character of Ophelia by Shakespeare). These songs really stand out, as do the heartbreaking "Gothic Lolita" and the very witty "Thank God I'm Pretty." Seriously, if you love both edgy and classical tones, if you have suffered through abuse or mental illness, if you just want to explore new musical talent, you should give Emilie Autumn a try! Also, for those of you who already love Emilie Autumn, she has announced that she's working on a new album called Fight Like a Girl, which she promises will be even more intense than Opheliac!

Now then, I'm off to pretend I care about the Superbowl! 

Eternally yours,
Mina 

No comments: